Here is an interesting stew using peanut butter and pepper for a unique taste. I found it at http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/african-chicken-stew/Detail.aspx. Byi the way:
A. the pepper components could easily be cut in half unless you want a very spicy meal,
B. Chicken broth can be substituted for or combined with the water, and
C. The liquid (broth, water, or combination of the two) can be increased as you are cooking to reduce the thick paste outcome
D. The recipe calls for2 pound of deboned roasting chicken. I just used a chicken breast. I had planned to use the remainder of a roasted chicken but forgot to take it out of the freezer. I think the assortment of white and dark meat could add a good flavor though and wish I had remembered the old bird.
E. You can also add turnips, carrots and celery or any combination if you like.
ü 1 Tbl Olive Oil (you may need more)
ü 3 lbs Chicken
ü 2 cloves Garlic, crushed
ü 1 Onion chopped
ü 1 large Potato, diced (feel free to use more)
ü 1 tsp Ground Cumin
ü 1 tsp Ground coriander seed (gives a great taste but don’t get carried away
ü 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
ü 1 tsp Salt
ü 1 cup Water (I used about 2 cups of chicken broth)
ü ¾ cup Unsalted Peanut Butter
ü 1 can Garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz.)
A. Cut the onion and potato and put them in a small bowl with the garlic. I added about a half stalk of celery
1. Heat the oil at a medium setting in a large skillet with a top
2. Add the chicken and brown.
3. Remove the chicken to a plate or bowl
4. Reduce the heat to medium low
5. Add the potato, onion and garlic to the pan and sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes
6. Season the pan with the cumin, coriander, black pepper, red pepper, and salt
7. Add the liquid, chicken, and any juices from the bowl the chicken was in
8. Put the lid on the skillet and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes
9. Stir in the peanut butter and garbanzo beans. Make sure the peanut butter is blended in well and add more liquid if needed. Remember though, you are making a stew and not a soup.
10. Heat for about 10 minutes more or until the chicken and potatoes are cooked.