Friday, July 1, 2011

Scones – Fruit

Here is another idea for scones that you can make one day and enjoy all week long.  These are also good if you are expecting friends to come over for a day or two.  Serve them some delicious scones or take them with you while showing off your location.   Just a thought.

Remember what I said about the bacon scones earlier.  Keep the butter real cold and sift the dry ingredients.  This really makes a big difference in the ultimate taste.

As I told you before, scone recipes are all over the place and very similar.  One day I was watching Alton Brown on the Food Network and he really gave me confidence in making scones.  I’m not sure if it was his recipe or additional information, like the cold butter.  This may or may not be close to his recipe but he was my inspiration.  Or was it Elton John?  No, I believe it was Alton Brown.

Ingredients:

·   2 cups     Flour
·   4 tsp       Baking powder
·   ¾ tsp      Salt
·   1/3 cup   Sugar
·   4 Tbl       Cold butter
·   2 Tbl       Shortening
·   1             Egg
·   ¾ cup     Cream or buttermilk
·   Handful of dried fruit.  Raisins are good but I like dried cherries better.  Cranberries would work also.  I think bananas would have to be revived a bit, maybe by soaking for a while in rum or banana liquor

Directions:
1.            Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl
2.            Heat the oven to 375 degrees
3.            Chop the butter into small pieces but don’t overwork.  Put into a small bowl
4.            Mix in the butter and shortening
5.            Crack the egg into the bowl that held the butter and beat it normally.
6.            Add the cream/buttermilk to the egg and mix
7.            Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and stir
8.            Add the fruit and combine.
9.            Pour the dough onto a floured surface
10.        Roll the dough to about an inch thick
11.        You can either cut the dough with a biscuit cutter or roll it out into a rectangle and cut that in half and then into triangles.
12.        Spray a banking sheet lightly put the scones on it and bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Your going to love it.  One time I cut a few apples up and used them in place of the dried fruit.  I also reduced the buttermilk some and substituted apple butter.  Unfortunately I didn’t measure the changes so I can’t give you the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment