Cooks.com has a real good recipe for a Squash Casserole that can easily be converted to a Lenten dish (Vegetarian) by substituting vegetable broth for the chicken broth. You could also get it to Vegan with a sour cream substitute but I’m a carnivore and took it the other way. It is simple, good for using leftovers, and doesn’t take a great deal of time or attention. Give it a try and feel free to use your imagination.
I had a half bag of frozen squash and another half bag of broccoli. Just go threw the freezer and see what is sitting around. If it looks like it would go with the meat you are using, do it. If it looks like the mixture is too dry, add something like more sour cream, cream, or milk.
Squash Plus Casserole
· 5 cups cooked squash
· 1 medium onion
· 1 stick butter or margarine at room temperature
· 1 bag stuffing mix
· 1 can cream of chicken soup
· 1 can cream of mushroom soup
· ½ cup sliced mushrooms
· 8 oz sour cream
· About 3 cups of cubed chicken or ham
· Salt and Pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 F
2. Heat the squash and onions until they are tender. Don’t overcook though since this will all find itself in the oven
3. Drain the vegetables
4. Pour about half the stuffing into a bowl
5. Combine the vegetables and everything else except the remaining stuffing in the bowl
6. Mix everything up lightly
7. Pour the mixture into a casserole dish
8. Top the meal with the remaining stuffing mix
9. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes
10. Test to make sure it is done. If not, put it back for a few minutes or whatever it takes.